11 Jul Observation of Children at Play NAEYC 1, 3 Description: Early Childhood professionals must be good observers. Observation is the most frequently used and most rewarding
Assignment #4: Observation of Children at Play
NAEYC 1, 3
Description: Early Childhood professionals must be good observers. Observation is the most frequently used and most rewarding method of assessing children’s growth, development, and learning. You will objectively record what you observe during a 15 minute observation of a preschool child.
Directions: You will be conducting a narrative observation of an individual child in a situation that is not teacher directed. Children should be engaged in free play inside the classroom; not in the playground. (Use initials or a fictitious first name to protect child’s confidentiality) This is a detailed “running record” account of behavior recorded in a sequential manner as it happens. The observer sits or stands apart from the child, writing down all behaviors that occur(s) within a 15 minute period. Keep sentences short and abbreviate words to keep up with the action.
After you have recorded your narrative, read it again to make sure you have written an objective record of events, and spelled out any abbreviated words and sentences.
Write down your analysis; make sure to include the following:
1. What did you see that represented emotional development? (Feelings, engagement, sense of pride.) (S1a)
2. What did you see that represented social development? (association with others.) (S1a)
3. What did you see that represented physical development? (balance, movement, gross and fine motor.) (S1a)
4. What did you see that represented cognitive development? (exploration, discovery, problem solving, curiosity.)
5. What are the benefits of this type of observation? (S3a)
6. How could you use this information to plan to meet the individual needs of this particular child? (S1a, S3c)
7. How you would share the information gathered with the family and other professionals? (S3d)
8. How you will incorporate the use of child observations as you develop professionally? (S3b, S3d)
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.